Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Rust Never Hunts

It's been awhile since I've been shooting. And I'm in the mood to find a gravel pit and shoot shit! Does anyone know of a safe one around southern NH? The last couple of places I went to I almost got arrested at. I have the day off tomorrow (last one for a long time) so I might just get drunk and load up some .44 Magnums for my Ruger and .45-70s for the mighty Contender. And maybe some .357s for idle plinking with my S & Wesson. Anyone with me?

Speaking of guns, I made a horrifying discovery the other day. Hunting season is fast approaching so I thought I would get out my Thompson Center Hawken .50 cal flintlock and check it out. It always takes a lot of work to get the flint just right so it will go FLASH-BOOM! Instead of FLASH....BOOM! Or just FLASH! Plus I like to put a few rounds through it at a range before hunting season so I don't flinch when the ignition powder goes off. Since the frizzen and pan are right next to your face and even a little flinch makes it wildly inaccurate, it's good to get used to it.

Well, I couldn't find the damned thing! I checked my gun cabinet where I always put it after I clean it. Had I lent it to Cod God to kill squirrels like all my other guns? Then I remembered that I had put it out in the garage after hunting last year. The reason was because it was still loaded! Now don't go all liberal/anti-gun/Ted Kennedy on me. I unscrewed the touchhole nipple (insert joke here, Codgod) and emptied the powder out. And I was going to pull the ball (insert another joke here) but never got around to it. So it was still out in the garage under a ton of shit that's collected there over the year. And it's rusty as hell.

Does anyone know of a way of removing a lot of rust from a gun besides the steel wool/elbow grease method? Maybe I should just buy a new one. Shit, I can't afford to. The question might be moot since I'm not sure I can even come up with the extra $40 for the hunting license. Maybe I will just get really drunk, go in the woods and club the deer to death with it.

2 Comments:

At 10:43 PM, Blogger The Cod God said...

Bob,

Take it apart and soak the metal parts in Coke.

I have a snubnose .38 that was frozen shut, I did the coke thing and now it works better than before.

Call me, I'll tell you how I did it.

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger Wheel Gun Bob said...

Can I drink rum and cokes while I'm doing it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home