Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Common Sense Suffers Humiliating Defeat!

So what were some of the worst ideas in history? The Edsel? The Iraq war? Settling New Orleans below sea level? Casting George Lazenby as James Bond? Alf? "Whip Inflation Now" buttons? The Spruce Goose? Ignoring those iceberg warnings? My first marriage? Well, here's one for the list: The Gandhi's Lunchbox reunion. That’s right, my old band is playing a reunion show November 25th (the day after Thanksgiving which will probably be known hence forth as Fuckyousgiving day).

We broke up 12 years ago. And for good reason. Although I can't remember what that reason was exactly, I'm sure it was a good one otherwise we would be still together. It even caused our other guitar player, Fuzzy Fortier, to flee as far as he could before he hit the Pacific Ocean and made our drummer, Omicron 4 (A.K.A. The Wiz), swear off music altogether.

Scott the bass player, Tom the singer and I got back together a few months after the break-up to form Jupiter 2 with the crazed Rodger Shosa. Although Scott eventually wised up and left "The Deuce" (the latest in a long and noble line of bass players is jOhn Morse), Tom, Rodger and I are still at it to this day, albeit with a reduced schedule due to our advanced age, swollen livers and enlarged prostates.

So why the reunion? Who the fuck knows? I think it was Fuzzy's idea. He is flying in from San Fransissyco just for the occasion (hopefully his arms won't be too tired to play). Or maybe he is coming out here to spend the holiday with his family and one of us talked him into it. Whatever. We hope to get a practice in with him before the gig.

The four of us without Fuzzy decided to get together last night to see if everything still functioned. Guess what? No one remembered the songs. What idiot put so many damned chord changes and rhythm changes and tricky endings in those fucking songs? Not me. I write simple garage rock tunes. At least now I do. I hate having to pay attention and actually play the guitar.

Hell, it might be good for me. Although I dislike living in the past since my life’s so goddamned rosy now.

P.S. I have been asked if Jupiter 2 is on the bill that night. The painful answer is no. GLB will be doing two sets, maybe three if you are unlucky. Deuce guitar god H-Bomb Miller (who was actually in Gandhi's Lunchbox for a few months after Fuzzy quit) won't be around. He is either playing with The Jabbers that night or The Tunnel Rats. He is a glutton for punishment being in three bands (or two bands and Jupiter 2). Actually, now that I think of it, he may be visiting his mother for Thanksgiving. Hey, Harlen, can I come along?

Other details - It will be at The Blue Mermaid on The Hill in Portsmouth. Show will start at 9 or when ever we are sufficiently drunk to play. The cost will be negligible except to your ears and psyche.

5 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well it's about f-ing time! To bad the Beatles didn't do the same. Of course this is much bigger. ( At least localy. ) Where is this world event taking place ? I'll be there if I can.

Deadeye

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesus Haliburton Christ! This makes playing yet another Jupiter 2 gig sound like a good idea! My ears, head, and A-hole hurt just thinking about it...

Hank Patterson

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Wheel Gun Bob said...

The "event" is taking place at The Blue Mermaid in Portsmouth at 9PM Friday, Nov. 25th. Tom didn't want me to tell anyone because he thought the place was too small and he didn't want anyone to show up. Go figure.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger The Cod God said...

I'll be there and I'll file a report... or maybe I'll just get a copy of the police report after I bail the band out of jail.

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Maryka said...

I'll be there, and I'm bringing my old man too. Can't wait.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home