Friday, December 02, 2005

Spancil Hill

I was surfing the web other day and came across this. It's a clip from an Irish TV show that features two of my favorite performers, Christy Moore (used to be with Planxty and has been solo for many years) and Shane McGowan (you know, of the Pogues - they make my top five best bands ever) doing my all time favorite Irish song "Spancil Hill." My chubby still hasn't gone down.

It's an old traditional song about someone who left Ireland during or just after the "great hunger" to go to California during the gold rush. I will check Wikipedia.org, but I think the potato famine was 1847 or 1848 and the gold rush was of course 1849. Anyway, it's about a guy so lonely for his native Ireland, he has a dream/fantasy that takes him to his home half way across the world.

Last night as I lay dreaming of pleasant days gone by
My mind being bent on rambling to Ireland I did fly
I stepped on board a vision and I followed with the wind
And I shortly came to anchor at the cross of Spancil Hill


"I stepped on board a vision and I followed with the wind." What a great line. I get goose bumps every time I hear this song. So check it out and enjoy it (well worth the 9MB download). It's got a typical powerful, sad minor key chord progression you hear in so many songs from the Emerald Isle.

You can tell by the condition of Shane's dentition that this clip was probably from the mid 90's. That was a lot of drinks ago. By the way, every time I try to go see the fucker, he never shows up. Must be afraid of me or something.

Sorry there was nothing scatological or obscene in this blog. I will try harder tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home